Our D1 Training courses

Can I or can I not drive a minibus?

The law relating to the driving of mini buses is quite complex and can be confusing. We have tried to simplify it but please visit www.gov.uk/driving-a-minibus for a more comprehensive explanation.

If you passed your test before 1st January 1997 you already hold the Category D1 entitlement but with the 101 restriction of ‘not for hire or reward’.

If you want the 101 restriction removed so that you can earn money driving a minibus then you will need to take a category D1 driving test.

Pre 1 January 1997

If you passed your test after 1st January 1997 you do not have the Category D1 entitlement on your licence and you cannot drive a minibus

You may require the D1 category on your licence. To you obtain this you must take the D1 test and must have a full Category B licence and be at least 21 years of age. More info on Driving a Mini Bus

However, you may drive a minibus if:
a) you drive for a non-commercial body but not for hire or reward
b) you are over 21
c) have held a car licence for 2 years
d) are providing your service on a voluntary basis
e) the minibus is under 3.5 tonnes click here

D1 training courses we provide

Mini Bus Training

Read more